Thursday, April 27, 2017

Michigan seems like a dream to me now...

"...it took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw..."

Anyways, you should Google my titles if you're unsure what I'm even talking about. Simon and Garfunkel yo! That's the only song I've heard/can remember that references Michigan, and Saginaw is actually pretty close to where I've been these last 3 weeks.

I'm in the thumb region of MI, which they actually call, The Thumb, it's like all over signs and junk, "best burger in The Thumb" or whatev you wanna say. But it is the thumb so it makes sense!

This town I've been in is pretty rural, not many people, not much to do, but it doesn't take much for me to stay entertained anyways. I truthfully had a cold most of the time I was here so I didn't venture out of my room too much. I went to Wal-Mart several times, which is about the only thing to do here...besides work. I worked quite a bit and it's been good. I'm liking the new job so far. It's taking a bit of getting used to working full time again, and to realize it's not just temporary traveling, I'm not going back to a home after a month, but this is legit my job now. Anywho, it's pretty flexible and I make my own hours pretty much, and I don't work with other people really, so the transition back into full time working is going well. And it changes, every day is a new area, and yes I'm doing the same thing, but the area is different so it will be different each day. So it mixes it up a bit, which is what I like, variety and flexibility and stuff. I'm responsible for getting certain things done and I get them done and everything is good.

Not many members of the church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints aka Mormons) up here, but they do have a branch (small congregation), it's about 40-50 people total which is pretty small, but dang those people are super nice and friendly! They were really hoping I was moving in, but even just visiting they were so kind and made me feel so welcome. I enjoyed participating in their meetings. That's one thing I love about being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is that no matter where I go in the world, I can walk into a church on Sunday and feel like that's where I belong and feel comfortable and loved, and feel at home. I'm also able to meet new people wherever I go who are genuinely kind. So really, all these new places I go I always have somewhere that I feel at home. But in all truth, it's not just the place, or the people either, but it's just having the gospel in my life in general and knowing who I am and why I'm here, it brings meaning to everything I do and brings peace in my life, no matter where I am or what's happening. Everything around me can change, and my life circumstances may change, but the gospel of Jesus Christ doesn't change, and it will always be a constant for me. It gives me a firm foundation in my ever changing life, in this ever changing world. And holy smokes am I so super grateful for that. Fo' realzzzz!

So, next stop for me on my journey is Memphis, TN! Home of blue suede shoes and the delta blues in the middle of the pouring rain...wait, what? ;)


No comments: